Monday, April 9, 2012

Extra Credit: Ben Percy Reading/Q&A session

     I attended the Ben Percy Reading/Q&A session on 4/9 at 7pm. It was enlightening to hear from an accomplished author, especially because I read his graphic novel Refresh, Refresh. One of the most surprising things I noticed was the tone of his speaking voice. It was probably the lowest voice I have ever herd. The whole meeting lasted about 45 min and was very interesting. He read from his soon to be released novel “Red Moon” which he said will be released about a year from now. With a page count of 680 pages, it is one of the biggest novels he has ever written. There are approximately 40 characters in all and four main characters that the story focus’ on.

     During the Q&A session, I learning a lot about his personal writing habits/styles along with general things all writers do. For example, he did not discover he wanted to be an author until he was a junior in college. His soon to be wife encouraged his writing abilities and he listened. For having such a serious writing style, I was surprised how comical the meeting turned out. He told many jokes and kept the audience’s attention. Overall, it was an interesting and insightful presentation that I enjoyed.

No comments:

Post a Comment